We can create a WiFi hotspot on our Laptops without using any third party applications. We use only some commands in command prompt. Follow the steps given below:
How to Create WiFi Hotspot on PC
The steps to create WiFi hotspot on PC are
- First open administrator command prompt. You can open it by clicking on Start -> type cmd in search box -> right click and select run as administrator (in Windows 7). In Windows 8/8.1/10 just right click on start -> select Command Prompt(Admin).
- In command prompt type the commands given below –
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=WiFiName key=password
- Now the network will be created but will not start. To start the network type the following command given below
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Now the network is started. To check whether it has started go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. Your network will be displayed there.
- Here there is a network and we can connect other devices with WiFi but cannot access internet as shown in the above screenshot. It says no network access.
- To give network access click on your network which is connected to your PC, go to Properties ->Sharing -> Check the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.” and below that select the Local Area Connection and click on OK.
- Now the WiFi hotspot is ready to use.
To Turn Off the WiFi Hotspot
- To stop the network just type the command
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
- After typing the above command, the wifi hotspot is turned off. To turn on again there is no need to create it but we just use the command to start it. The SSID and password will be saved.
- In Windows 10 Anniversary Update(which is the latest version of we can turn on WiFi hotspot easily without any commands.Just go to Settings -> Network and Internet -> Mobile Hotspot (in the left panel) -> Turn On Sharing